the Swipe file
A swipe file is a useful collection of ideas, resources and strategies used by marketers, designers and makers to inspire their project. This page is my ultimate catalog of cool stuff I like. My goal is that you will find something useful for your own projects or that you find something here that you like too.
** Last updated: December 2017 **
To kick things off, here are my saved YouTube playlists:
These are the finest curated collections of tools and resources ever assembled. I could spend hours mindlessly browsing these sites and finding new stuff to add to my arsenal.
My trove of inspo sites for startups, branding, design, marketing and sales.
These are some of my all-time favourite resources and articles.
- Sam Altman's Startup Playbook
- Aptrinsic's Mastering Product Experience in SaaS
- Julian's Advanced Guide to Startup Growth
- Jon Bishop's SaaS Growth Guide
- Hotjar's Grow Your SaaS Startup
- Crew's How To Build An Online Business
- Startup Launch List
- Side Project Marketing + Sales Checklist
- Webflow's Web Design 101 Course
- Instapage's Landing Page Design Guide
- Unbounce's Landing Page Course
- Qualaroo's Guide to Conversion Rate Optimization
- VWO's A/B Testing Guide
- Mailchimp's Email Marketing Field Guide
- Campaign Monitor's Guidebook to Email Marketing
- Vero's Email Marketing Guide
- Vero's Lifecycle Email Marketing Guide
- Mailshake's Cold Email Outreach Playbook
- Wishpond Lead Generation, Email Drips and Landing Pages
- Zach Holman's Thoughts on Public Speaking
- Harvard's Strategies for Essay Writing
- Programmatic Industry Reference Guide
- Media Buying Strategy Guide
- Media Buying for B2B SaaS Marketers
Research and Data
These tools will help you find information and uncover trends, products and ideas.
- Google Advanced Search Operators
- Google Trends
- Google Correlate
- Google Consumer Barometer
- The Web Miner
- Web Scraping
- Researching Products
- Researching Competitors
This is my tool stack. It's designed to be lean, data-driven and flexible. My general philosophy is "whatever gets the job done" but these are some of the essentials that I rely on.
- Chrome / G Suite for productivity.
- Zapier / Automate.io / ATS / IFTTT for automation.
- Trello / Asana / Craft for project management.
- Squarespace / Bubble.is / Webflow for building mvps.
- Google Analytics for web analytics.
- Google Tag Manager for managing tags.
- Google Optimize for ab testing.
- Hotjar for user analytics and feedback.
- Mockflow (or Moqups) for ux management.
- Wireframe.cc (or Mockingbird) for wireframing.
- Marvel (or Atomic) for prototyping.
- Canva (or Pablo) for social images.
- Vectr (or Pixlr) for image editing.
- Mockerie (or Placeit) for product mockups.
- FiveSecondTest by Usability Hub - user experience testing.
- Peek by User Testing - user experience testing.
These are all of the best places to find creative commons and public domain content. Who doesn't love free stuff?
- Creative Commons Search
- Wikimedia Commons
- Internet Archive
- Free Assets
Waste Some Time
Consider this the "unproductive" section. Goof around with these cool websites.
- Console Living Room - play any retro game from your browser.
- Blokdust - create music by building interactions.
- Apollo 17 - experience the final moon landing in realtime.
- Chrome Experiments - get lost in creative code.
- You are listening to - combine music, visuals and radio signals.
- Noisli // Defonic - create soothing soundscapes.
- Diep.io - browser based multiplayer tank game.
- s0urce.io - browser based multiplayer hacking game.
These are all the other random tools and resources that I couldn't fit into any of the other categories.
- Launchaco - find available domains and social profiles.
- Shopify Tools - business tools from shopify.
- Gumroad - sell digital and physical products.
- Printful - sell print on demand merch.
- Leanstack - create a lean business planning canvas.
- Personapp - create personas.
- GoMoodboard - create a moodboard.
- Draw.io - create diagrams.
- OpenBrand - create brand guidelines.
- Logomakr - create logos.
- Coolors - generate color palettes.
- Colorhexa - get extended information about colors.
- Optimizilla - optimize and compress your images.
- Gifmaker - create gifs from videos (also Gif Generator).
- Pitcherific - practice your pitching skills.
- Hunter.io - find email addresses.
- Calendly - book and sync meetings with your calendar.
- Appear.in - quick video chat and screen sharing.
- Lightstream - live streaming to any platform from your browser.
- Build Chatbots
- Self Publishing
Here are the rest of my favourite resources sorted by topic :)
- Design Resources
- Visual Design Elements and Principles (wiki)
- Stanford's Design Thinking Playbook (pdf)
- Standford's Introduction to Design Thinking (pdf)
- Stanford's Virtual Crash Course in Design Thinking
- IBM's Design Thinking Field Guide (pdf)
- Hanno's Guide to Design Thinking
- Adactio's Design Principles
- Google Venture's Design Sprints
- Udacity's Design Sprint Course (youtube)
- Udacity's Product Design Course (youtube)
- UX Resources
- Coding Resources
- Sales Resources
- Chatbot Resources
- Blockchain Resources
- Podcasting Resources
- Pat Flynn's Podcasting Guide
- EOFire's Podcasting Guide
- Zach Valenti's Podcasting Guide
- Michael Sacca's Podcasting Guide
- Podcast Method Gear Guide
- Podcast Guest Guide
- This American Life's Make Radio Guide
- San Jose University's Quicky Podcasting Guide
- Creative Common's Podcasting Legal Guide
- Shopify's Podcasting Guide
- Buffer's Podcasting Guide