the Swipe file
My curated collection of free tools, resources, articles, videos and more.
A swipe file is a useful collection of ideas, resources and strategies. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to finding new tools and collecting the very best resources. This page is my ultimate catalog of cool stuff I like. My goal is that you will find something useful for your own projects or that you find something here that you like too.
** Last updated: September 2017 **
To kick things off, here are my saved YouTube playlists:
These are the finest curated collections of tools and resources ever assembled. I could spend hours mindlessly browsing these sites and finding new stuff to add to my arsenal.
- Internet Curated // Stash of List // Stack of Stack - curated collections of curated collections.
- Startup Stash // Startup Resources // Startup Collections - curated collections for entrepreneurs.
- Growth Supply // FreeStack - curated collections of free tools.
- Marketing Stack // Content Marketing Stack // Ecommerce Stack - curated collections for marketers.
- Curated SEO Tools // SEM Stash - curated collections for seo.
My trove of inspo sites for startups, branding, design, marketing and sales.
- Startup Beginnings - learn the stories behind great startups.
- Startup Graveyard - learn the stories behind the deaths of startups.
- Growth Hacker's Growth Studies - learn how companies achieve product/market fit.
- Startups Explained // Pitch Decks - dconstct's collections of startup stories and pitch decks.
- Culture Decks // Handbooks - tettra's collections of culture decks and handbooks.
- Style Guides - collections of pattern libraries, code standards, and content style guides.
Branding and Design Inspo
- Identity Designed // Logopond // Logoed - branding inspiration
- Typ.io // Typspiration // Font Inspiration // Typewolf // Fonts In Use - typography inspiration
- Color Farm // Design Seeds // Color Hunt - color inspiration.
- Landing Folio // Land Book // UIDB.io - website and ux inspiration.
Marketing and Sales Inspo
These are some of my all-time favourite resources and articles.
- Sam Altman's Startup Playbook - how to build great startups.
- Intercom On - books on Starting Up, Product Management and more.
- Zapier Learning - guides on Automation, APIs, Google Sheets and more.
- Startup Launch List - articles you need to read before starting your startup.
- Crew's How To Build An Online Business - a series on building businesses.
- Hotjar's Grow Your SaaS Startup - a series on growing startups.
- Side Project Marketing Checklist - a checklist for your side projects.
- Julian's Advanced Guide to Startup Growth - startup growth strategies and concepts.
- Jon Bishop's SaaS Growth Guide - saas growth strategies and concepts.
- HackDesign - everything you need to know about design and ux.
- Webflow's Web Design 101 - how to design for the web.
- Moz's SEO Guide - how to get found in search engines.
- Unbounce's Landing Page Course - how to build great landing pages.
- Qualaroo's Guide to Conversion Rate Optimization - how to optimize your conversion rates.
- Mailchimp's Email Marketing Field Guide - how to send marketing emails.
- Campaign Monitor's Guidebook to Email Marketing - how to run email marketing campaigns.
- Mailshake's Cold Email Outreach Playbook - how to send better emails.
- Indiegogo's Essential Guide to Crowdfunding - how to launch a crowdfunding campaign.
- Zach Holman's Thoughts on Public Speaking - how to be a better public speaker.
- Harvard's Strategies for Essay Writing - how to write great essays.
- Tutset - pretty much everything you need to know about coding.
- The AppNexus Industry Reference Guide - everything you need to know about programmatic.
- IAB Study Guides on Media Buying, Media Sales, Ad Operations, and Data Solutions.
- Glossaries from Unbounce, Optimizely, SEObook and the IAB.
These tools will help you find information and uncover trends, products and ideas.
- Google Advanced Search Operators - use google search better.
- Google Trends and Correlate - explore trends.
- Google Consumer Barometer - explore consumers.
- Statista - find stats for everything.
- Best Sellers // Movers and Shakers from Amazon.
- Weekly Bestsellers // Hot Products from AliExpress.
- Ebay Trending - popular products being auctioned.
- Etsy Trending Now - popular hand made products.
- Storenvy Trending - popular social products (mostly fashion/apparel).
- Flippa Just Sold - see websites that are finding buyers.
- Kickstarter Popular - top crowdfunded campaigns.
- Indiegogo Trending - top crowdfunded campaigns.
- Patreon Explore - see how creators are engaging with their audience.
- Teeview - get campaign data from Teespring and Sunfrog.
- Spyfu // SimilarWeb // SpyOnWeb - competitor intelligence
- Alexa Site Info - site traffic, stats and analytics estimates.
- Moz Open Site Explorer - link analysis
- SEMrush // KeywordTool.io - keyword research.
- SEOptimer - website analyzer.
- Siteliner - duplicate content finder.
- ContentForest SEO Tools - assorted tools.
This is my tool stack. It's designed to be lean, data-driven and flexible. My general philosophy is "whatever gets the job done" but these are some of the essentials that I rely on.
- Chrome // G Suite for productivity.
- IFTTT // Zapier // Pipefy for automation.
- Trello // Asana // Craft for project management.
- Google Analytics for web analytics.
- Hotjar for user analytics and feedback.
- Google Optimize for testing.
- Google Tag Manager for data management.
- OpenBrand for brand asset management.
UX and Design Tools
- Mockflow (or Moqups) for ux management.
- Wireframe.cc (or Mockingbird) for wireframing.
- Marvel (or Atomic) for prototyping.
- UI Names and UI Faces for sample user data.
- Canva (or Pablo) for social images.
- Vectr (or Pixlr) for image editing.
- Mockerie (or Placeit) for product mockups.
- FiveSecondTest by Usability Hub - user experience testing.
- Peek by User Testing - user experience testing.
These are all of the best places to find creative commons and public domain content. Who doesn't love free stuff?
Waste Some Time
Consider this the "unproductive" section. Goof around with these cool websites.
- Console Living Room from Archive.org - play any retro game from your browser.
- Blokdust - create music by building interactions.
- Apollo 17 - experience the final moon landing in realtime.
- Chrome Experiments - get lost in creative code.
- You are listening to - combine music, visuals and radio signals.
- Noisli // Defonic - create soothing soundscapes.
- Diep.io - browser based multiplayer tank game.
- s0urce.io - browser based multiplayer hacking game.
more Stuff I Like
These are all the other random tools and resources that I couldn't fit into any of the other categories.
- Launchaco - find available domains and social profiles.
- Shopify's Business Name Generator - find dot com domains using keywords.
- Gumroad - sell digital and physical products.
- Printful - sell print on demand merch.
- Leanstack - create a lean canvas.
- Personapp - create personas.
- GoMoodboard - create a moodboard.
- Draw.io - create diagrams.
- OpenBrand - create brand guides.
- Logomakr - create logos.
- Coolors - generate color palettes.
- Colorhexa - get extended information about colors.
- Optimizilla - optimize and compress your images.
- Gifmaker - create gifs from videos (also Gif Generator).
- Pitcherific - practice your pitching skills.
- Hunter.io - find email addresses.
- Calendly - book and sync meetings with your calendar.
- Appear.in - quick video chat and screen sharing.
- DripScripts - create email drip sequences.
- Lightstream - live streaming to any platform from your browser.
- Chatfuel // Manychat // Motion.ai - build chatbots.
- Papeair // Smashwords - create ebooks.
- Pressbooks // Lulu // Blurb // Reedsy // IngramSpark - self publishing platforms